Thursday, May 05, 2005

New Apple Powerbook

Not for me, alas, but for my brother Josh. Last night Josh and I went to the Apple Store in King of Prussia and he got a new 12" G4 Powerbook. I went because my employer has a deal with Apple for discounts on their products -- we got 8% off. And since I charged it on my Discover Card I'll be getting cash back, I'll actually make a few bucks.

Anyway, the new machine is very nice. The keyboard seems a little nicer than on my iBook, and it should give noticeably better performance with the better video card and fast hard drive.

We took it back to my house, plugged it in, had Josh go through all the initial setup stuff, and then upgraded it to Tiger, since it came with Mac OS 10.4 on a DVD in the box, the hard disk had Panther on it. The OS upgrade was simple: insert the DVD and double-click an install icon. The machine rebooted and proceeded with the upgrade. It took about 40 minutes; I expect that when I upgrade my iBook to Tiger it'll take a bit longer due to the slower CPU and hard drive.

After completing the upgrade, Josh played around with it for a bit, and after seeing something particularly neat about OS-X, wondered aloud why anyone would use a Windows machine after trying a Mac.

(Teal'c)

Indeed.

(/Teal'c)

No comments: