Monday, July 03, 2006

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 RC3

I installed SLED 10 RC3 on my lab laptop this morning in a dual boot configuration with XP Pro. The box previously dual booted XP and SUSE Professional 9.3. The installation went smoothly.

By default, SLED uses GNOME as the desktop environment. I did a custom install and added KDE, though I'm playing around in GNOME for now. It seems to have installed a sensible config, and one thing I like is that the Windows key is automatically setup to open the "Computer" menu (equivalent to the Start menu in Windows).

The default browser is Firefox 1.5.0.4 with Java and Flash already installed and running. The default mail client is Evolution, which I haven't putzed with yet. Helix Banshee is the media player. It appears to be an open source work-alike to iTunes, but since there's no music on the box I haven't tested it out. Sound is working fine, however. OpenOffice 2.0.2 is installed for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.

Unfortunately, my ATI video adapter is not supported by XGL, so I won't be testing that nifty bit of eye candy out on this machine.

My initial impression is favorable. I'll post more after I've had the chance to really take SLED 10 RC3 for a spin.

No comments: