Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yeats Comes to Mind

In watching the economy and our idiots "leaders'" responses thereto, I can't help but thinking of William Butler Yeats' The Second Coming , in particular, the first stanza:

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

1 comment:

The Dude said...

Dave, I've been a reader of your survival post from time to time over the past year and learned a few things from it. While I think we share similar ideas regarding peak oil and the trouble that our society / country / world finds itself in, I recommend that you read Mike Ruppert's "Crossing the Rubicon". I say this because it ties in to these problems the reasons for 9/11. I say this to you because I see much more political criticism in your comments now than when the neocons were in control, but the clear-eyed truth is that Cheney & W put the nail in our coffin over the last 8 years while you were talking survival gear.

Jay Marchetti,
Pittsburgh PA