Sunday, August 16, 2020

20 Gauge Black Powder Patched Round Ball Shells

 Today I loaded up 25 rounds of 20 gauge shells for potential use as short range deer hunting loads. They consist of:

  • Magtech brass cases
  • Federal large pistol primers
  • 80 grains of Goex 2Fg black powder
  • Ballistic Products nitro card
  • Ballistic Products fiber cushion wad
  • 2 x 0.010” patches prelubed with Wonder Lube
  • .575 round ball
  • Ballistic Products over shot card sealed with Duco cement
Before I settled on the patch/ball combination I check it for fit in my H&R Topper’s modified choke. With only one patch I could push it through with hand pressure. With two patches I needed to tap it through using a mallet, but it required less pressure than a typical tight fitting PRB in a muzzle loading rifle.





Waiting for the Duco cement to dry:









No comments: