Thursday, March 10, 2005

Modem troubles

Those of us acting as guinea pigs for our forthcoming static IP service have been experiencing problems for the past couple of days. Due to some backend network architecture changes our IPs weren't routing. Mine went down sometime last night, but I didn't discover it until I tried to check my email from work this morning.

Upon getting home I logged into my SMC gateway and reconfigured it to pull an IP via DHCP, and got back online after the box rebooted.

Since I host mail.building-tux.com behind the modem I had to go and update the DNS A record so that I could receive mail. DNS for building-tux.com is provided by the fine folks at DynDNS.org. I've been using them for a couple of years now and have been 100% satisfied. One thing that's impressed me is the speed at which changes to DNS records propagate. Every time I've had to update the A record for mail.building-tux.com, I've been able to start receiving mail within 15 minutes, from a variety of outside senders.

No comments: