Monday, May 16, 2005

New scope on the way

Tonight I ordered a Hakko COL-4211 ER 4x21mm scope to mount on my Colt AR-15A3. Thus, I'm one step closer to putting suitable optics on all of my EBRs. I'm doing this because everything else being equal, I shoot more accurately with optics and illuminated optics like the Hakko work better in low light (which is a factor under SHTF situations).

If you've ever seen the short Colt scopes mounted on the carrying handle of an AR-15 or M-16, you've seen a Hakko, who made them for Colt. The Colt/Hakko units have a good reputation for sturdiness and optical quality at a decent price. Yeah, I'd love to have a Trijicon ACOG, but one would cost me as much or more than I paid for the rifle.

You might wonder why I ordered a scope designed to attach to the carrying handle when I have a flattop rifle. One, this way I don't need to buy a mount or a backup iron sight, and should the optic go tango uniform, the irons are instantly usable.

A full report will follow, of course.

No comments: