Friday, March 24, 2006

SonicWALL 2040

Over the past week I've had the chance to play around in my lab with a SonicWALL 2040 firewall. One of our customers has been experiencing problems establishing multiple IPSEC VPN connections from behind one of our cable modems to a SonicWALL firewall/VPN server which is connected to the Internet via a T1. Unfortunately, their unit is an older, discontinued box, so I wasn't able to truly reproduce their environment, and probably due to this, I could not replicate their problem.

This is the second SonicWALL box I've tested. The first one was last year, a TZ-170. I've been impressed with both units. SonicOS includes a very good HTTP user interface, and allows you to not only setup a solid firewall, but you can also use it to provide a VPN termination server, create a VPN tunnel between two SonicWALL boxes, filter out spam and viruses, and filter web content (with the proper extra-cost options, naturally). The 2040 that I have in my lab now can also be configured to provide connection redundancy and load balancing with two WAN ports.

If you're in the market for a firewall I reccommend taking a look at SonicWALL's line.

No comments: