Saturday, January 06, 2007

Rough Week

It's been a rough week.

Tuesday afternoon I was sitting at my desk at work when I felt a headache coming on. After a few minutes I took some Ibuprofen, which kept it down to a dull roar. By the time I got home around 18:30 it was really bothering me, so I took something stronger. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything so I got almost no sleep Tuesday night. By 06:00 Wednesday morning I was a wreck. It was by far the worst pain I've ever had. My mom came over to take the girls to daycare while Judith took me to the ER.

The nurse and ER doctor questioned me about the symptoms and how the headache came on, and to be safe I had a CT scan done of my sinuses. It turned out to be a bad sinus infection. While there they gave me a shot of Tordol (a painkiller), plus pseudophedrine (decongestant) and Levaquin (antibiotic) pills. When we were finally done, I left with prescriptions for Levaquin, Amitex (prescription decongestant), and Tylenol 3 (i.e., Tylenol with Codeine). {stoner}Dude, I'm on drugs.{/stoner}

Thursday I had a follow up visit with my regular doctor, who gave me a referral to go see an ENT, who can check my sinuses for proper drainage. I suspect they don't drain well but I'm not sure what can be done about that without surgery. I'm going to try to get an appointment for late next week.

The really bad headache hasn't returned, no doubt due to the Tylenol 3. Unfortunately, being on it has made me sluggish and drowsy, on top of the fatigure from not being able to sleep well. Today seems noticeably better but my head is still a bit foggy.

About the only upside of this has been that I caught some interesting TV on Thursday and Friday. Thursday, The History Channel aired a couple of interesting programs on WW2 history, including one on secret Soviet aircraft of the war. Yesterday, the Discovery Channel ran a couple of episodes of "Survivorman." I've heard of the show but never watched it. It's very good, IMO. Les Stroud seems to know his stuff and explains what he's doing and risks he's encountering in a very engaging way.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out of the house on Monday. I'm feeling cooped-in already.

No comments: