Monday, March 19, 2007

Motorola RAZR V3m and iSync

When Apple released the OS 10.4.9 update last week, they expanded the list of phones supported by iSync. My Motorola RAZR V3m is now officially supported, for both Bluetooh and USB connections.

Since I'd previously setup iSync on Rohan (my MacBook Pro) to work with my V3m using a third party plugin, to get it to work with the updated iSync I had to (1) delete the plugin, (2) delete Rohan from the phone's Bluetooth prefs, and (3) reset it back up from scratch. I also rebooted Rohan to clear any cached settings.

ISync allows you to specify which group of contacts you want to sync, either "All" or a subset thereof. I don't want all of my contacts on my cell phone so I created a new "Cell Phone" group in Address Book and configured iSync to sync only it. It now works like a charm, at least for phone numbers and email addresses. I'm not syncing fax numbers and Verizon has the V3m locked down so you can't sync calendars. I find the latter very annoying and may look into hacks which unlock that function.

No comments: