Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Snow Leopard

I am now running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" on Rohan, my MacBook Pro.  Previous Mac OS upgrades (10.3 to 10.4, and 10.4 to 10.5) went very smoothly.  Not so this time.

In preparation for the upgrade I uninstalled programs which I knew would be incompatible: e.g., CrossOver v7 and iSlayer Menus.  I then used OnyX to run a full system optimization, including cleaning out various caches and verifying the hard disk.

The Snow Leopard installer crashed on my three times with a message that an error had occurred.  Reviewing the installer log didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary.

On the third reboot the install finished (it appeared to pick up where it left off after each prior reboot).  Once logging in, SL informed me that incompatible software had been disabled and moved to the /Incompatible Software folder.  A Read Me file in that folder stated that Parallels Desktop 2.5 had been disabled.

Apparently, when I uninstalled Parallels Desktop 2.5 (probably last year), the uninstaller did not remove its kernel extensions.  (Thanks, Parallels. Grrr.)  When I replaced the hard disk in the machine recently, I first cloned the disk using SuperDuper!, which brought over those obsolete .kexts.  I suspect that the presence of these kernel extensions caused problems with the upgrade.

Anyway, we're now up and running.  I haven't used it enough to start making observations but will do so as time permits.

3 comments:

Ted Johnson said...

I'm happy to report that the update process was perfect (though long--well over an hour). Immediate good news is that I got back more than 20 Gig on a 77 Gig partition.

Sorry you had trouble.

Unknown said...

Actually CrossOver 7 *is* Snow Leopard compatible. It was CrossOver Games 7 that wasn't, which is why we shipped a new version pronto. But all our products are now Snow Leopard compatible.

Cheers,

-jon parshall-
COO
www.codeweavers.com

Dave Markowitz said...

Jon, thanks for clearing up the confusion.