Monday, October 05, 2009

Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac

Last Friday, Research in Motion finally released the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac.

Heretofore, Mac users wanting to sync their BlackBerries with their Macs have had to use either PocketMac or Mark/Space's The Missing Sync.  The free PocketMac was a turd, to put it mildly.  In my experience it worked for a few syncs with my BlackBerry 8330 and then became very unstable.  The not-free Missing Sync was better but still buggy.  E.g., I kept running into calendar corruption issues.

In early September a late Beta of BDM for Mac leaked onto the 'net.  I downloaded it and gave it a try and it seemed to work OK.  While TMS allowed me only to sync, BDM can also backup the BlackBerry and upgrade the device's firmware.  So far, so good.

I'm glad to see RIM finally paying more attention to Mac users.  Not all of us have iPhones.

No comments: