Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rooted my Droid

On Sunday I took the jump and rooted my Droid phone.  "Rooting" a smartphone gets you administrative access to the device, which in turn allows you to do some neat things like
  • Make a backup image of the ROM's filesystem to the SD card.
  • Run applications that allow you to do things not enabled by default, such as turning your phone into a WiFi hotspot.
  • Run alternative ROMs.
To root the Droid, I followed the instructions found here.   One of the first things I did after rooting was to install ROM Manager, and make a backup of my existing setup to my SD card.  I then installed the Astro File Manager and had it make a backup of all the apps I had installed.  With that done I went into ROM Manager and used it to download and install the Bugless Beast ROM.  Per the instructions I allowed it to wipe the data cache, which also has the effect of removing all the apps you've installed.  One feature of Bugless Beast that I like is that it will automatically restore your applications from some backup formats, including Astro File Manager's.

I've been running Bugless Beast now for a couple days and so far, so good.  By default it overclocks the Droid's CPU to 800 MHz.  This made the phone feel a bit warm so I set it back to the standard 600 MHz.  At some point I may try CyanogenMod or other ROMs.

2 comments:

AlanR - GunRightsAlert.com said...

+1 on cyanogenmod, I'm running it on my G1 developer phone.

Android's still not as Linux-y as my Nokia N810 but in general it is more useful.

Dave Markowitz said...

A couple weeks ago I replaced Bugless Beast -- which had become rather buggy -- with Cyanogenmod. It runs much more smoothly although I still experience the occasional slowdown. I'm currently debating whether I want to spring for a new phone. I've been eligible for an upgrade since last October but I've been holding off. Might be time to spring for an HTC Thunderbolt.