Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Laptop updates

I switched over my Dell laptop to Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird from the full Moz suite this morning. The individual apps seem a bit more responsive, but in the event I run into major difficulties I left Moz 1.7.2 onboard.

A neat extension I am trying is the Firefox Toolbar. Think of it as the Google Toolbar but for Firefox instead of IE. There are several variants; I installed the version with tie-ins to Blogger. Since it includes a search box, I need to see if it's possible to hide the Google box that Firefox has by default.

In addition to the software, I was able to get ahold of a Netgear WG511 802.11g (and .11b) network card. Since the wireless routers I'm testing support 802.11g, I needed some way to hook up to them without relying on 802.11b support. Aside from that, the 802.11b card I was using was my personally-owned Linksys, which I'd rather leave at home.

It'll be interesting to see if I can get the Netgear card to speak to my Linksys wireless router at home with WEP enabled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the firefox toolbar is treating you well.

Regarding the default search box on firefox..right mouse click next to the box, a drop down should open. select "customize" and drag the search box off your brower.

If I can be of any assistance with the firefox toolbar, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Pat
pat@firefoxtoolbar.com

Dave Markowitz said...

Thanks, Pat. That worked. The Firefox Toolbar is working well.