Saturday, April 04, 2009

Busy Saturday

This morning I stopped over at a client's house to fix his wireless network.  It was working the last time I was there but at some point in the last week it died.  All it turned out to be was that his Linksys WRT54G2 needed a reboot.  Once we did that his wireless clients came back online.  Since he's a good repeat client and I was there for only about 15 minutes and he's only a couple miles away, I didn't charge him.

BTW, I do NOT recommend the Linksys WRT54G2 wifi router.  He bought it when his old Linksys WRT54G died after several years of use.  The G2 is a different beast and frankly, it's a POS.

After that I drove over to Harbor Freight to pick up a broken screw extractor kit.  Last week I bought a 2 gallon Campbell-Hausfield air compressor at Wal-Mart, and managed to snap off the tank drain valve through being stupid.  I ordered a couple replacements from C-H and they arrived in a few days, but I needed something to get the remnants of the old valve out.  It's a brass fitting that screws into the tank and allows you to drain out accumulated water (which condenses from the air as its compressed into the tank).  With the broken screw extractor kit I was able to get out the old broken valve without too much trouble.

With that fixed, I played with the girls for a little while then took a drive up to Seneca Arms in Green Lane, PA.  It's a nice, old fashioned gun shop where I've picked up a couple guns over the years.  John, the proprietor, is also one of the top High Power match shooters in PA.  He had some interesting pieces* but nothing I really wanted to drop money on now.  If I wasn't worried about the economy I might've snagged a Savage 23D or Winchester 43, both of which were in .22 Hornet.  I noticed he had a good supply of Brownells 30 round AR-15 magazines for about $17 each, plus some 5.56mm ammo from both Winchester and Prvi Partizan.

* One of the most important guns for any person who is preparing for emergencies should have is a good .22 rifle.  They are good for small game hunting, vermin control, marksmanship practice, and can be pressed into service for self defense, though they aren't ideal for that.  John had several used .22 rifles made by Marlin, Mossberg, Remington and Winchester in stock, in semiautomatic, bolt action, and lever action varieties.  All were reasonably priced at from $120 to $180 (a couple of the Winchesters were more).

Tonight I'm going shooting with my dad.  I'm bringing the Springfield XD-9 I bought a few weeks ago along with 200 rounds of Brown Bear 9mm 115 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ loads.

No comments: