Monday, January 18, 2021

Ran Out of Balls

 (Insert Beavis and Butt Head laughter.)

I had such a good time shooting my Euroarms Remington with combustible paper cartridges yesterday that I decided to make up another batch tonight. I also picked up some MTM Case-Guard plastic ammo boxes for .44 Mag./.45 Colt. I use them for .44-40 and .38-40 but they work well for the .44 paper cartridges.

The two flattened blobs on the right are what a dead soft .454 ball looks like after impacting a steel gong from about 10 yards. I managed to salvage a few, which will be recycled into the casting pot.




The twist over the ball gives me a handle to pull them out. Unfortunately, I ran out of balls. I put 60 rounds through through the Euroarms yesterday,  36 paper cartridges plus 24 rounds of loose powder and ball, so I only had 40 balls left. Somewhere in my midden is a bag of 100 .454 balls but heck if I can find it.

I also tried casting some .454 last year in a Lee mold but when I shot them in my Euroarms Rogers & Spencer they were hard to load. I mic'ed them afterwards and they came out at .456 - .457, so I think there might have been a bit of tin in the alloy. I'm going to use up the rest of that lead by casting bullets for .44 WCF, then try the mold again with known dead soft lead.

Anyway, I have 500 Hornady .454 balls on the way from Track of the Wolf, although I need to give one box to my brother, who gave me this box.

I'm hoping to make a trip to Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in the next week or two. It's worth the hour drive just to look around and hopefully I can pick up a pound or two of Olde Eynsford or Swiss 3Fg.

No comments: