Friday, February 05, 2021

Adapting a US M1917 Holster to Fit Pietta Sheriff's Model Percussion Revolvers

On Blackie Thomas’s YouTube channel he shows carrying a Pietta NMA Sheriff’s Model in a replica holster for the US M1917 revolvers. He got his from Sportsman’s Guide. I bought this one from Sarco for $25 + tax and shipping. The quality seems pretty good — nice thick leather and good stitching. There’s no indicator where it was made but I have a feeling it’s from India.

As received, with a Pietta 1858 Sheriff's Model in it. The flap cannot be buttoned.



So, I added an extension by riveting on a piece of leather. I got the color to almost match just by applying some neatsfoot oil.

With the extension added:




It also fits my Pietta 1851 Navy Sheriff, maybe even a little better than the Remington.

I used a Tandy rivet setter and rivets to attach the extension, after punching holes using a hollow punch from a Harbor Freight set. I did not punch the hole for the button in the extension until the new piece of leather was attached to the holster flap. I did it afterwards, after marking the correct spot.

This will be a good option for field carry.


No comments: