Sunday, August 28, 2022

Offhand Practice with my Cabela's Hawken

Last weekend I took my Cabela's Hawken to the range for some offhand practice on both Saturday and Sunday.

The rifle was built by Investarms in Italy and is very similar to the Lyman Trade Rifle, which was also built by Ivestarms. I'd wanted a LTR for years but it was never offered in a left handed version, so I got the Cabela's rifle instead. A very similar or identical rifle is also sold by Dixie Gun Works, as well as muzzle-loaders.com.



A few years ago I replaced the factory sights with a Lyman white bead front sight and a 57 SML aperture sight. I also replaced the factory nipple with a Hot Shot. I keep the original in the cap box as a spare.




Anyway, it's a caplock .50 caliber muzzleloader. The load I shot both days was:

  • 70 grains of 3Fg Goex black powder
  • 0.020" patch lubed with Bumblin' Bear Grease from October Country
  • Hornady swaged 0.490" round ball
  • CCI No.11 percussion cap
On Saturday, I shot with the peep sight's insert in place. This gives a smaller aperture which should allow better accuracy, at the expense of light transmission.




Decent, except for that one flyer above the bull.

When I went back on Sunday I removed the sight insert and used it as a ghost ring. This is what I'd do if hunting with the rifle.



Not quite as good but still minute of deer at the ranges I'd be shooting at. My final shot of the day was at a steel gong approximately six inches square, and I got a good solid hit.



No comments: