Monday, September 14, 2026

More Load Development with the Pedersoli Mississippi Rifle

Today I got the Pedersoli Mississippi Rifle back to the range and tried a few different loads. All groups were 5 shots, fired at 50 yards from a bench rest, using 70 grains of Goex FFg black powder.

I first tried pre-patched .526 ball with tied-on .010 patches lubed with October Country's Bumbling Bear Grease. These were intended to copy the balls loaded in cartridges for the US Army back in the 19th Century.



I loaded these with the "tail" facing up. Even though I used a thinner patch than during my first range trip, I needed to use my short starter.

Unfortunately they didn't work for me. While easy to load for up to 5 shots, accuracy was terrible. Based on the target it looked like at least one impacted the target with the patch still wrapped around the ball, but with the "tail" off-center.

The bullseye is 5.5" in diameter.



I recovered one of these patches, about 25 - 30 yards downrange, which is much further that untied patches travel.




I may try pre-patched balls again but use thread instead of hemp twine, to increase the chance the patches separate from the balls.

My second target was .526 balls in a .010 patch but seated normally. Accuracy was better although not great.

My final target was .520 balls in .018 patch. These seated very easily but still required the short starter, and the accuracy was on par with .526 + .010 combination.




For my last 2 shots of the day I loaded .520 balls in .018 patches and shot them offhand at an ~18" steel gong, both of which were hits.

Load development will continue.

No comments: