Saturday, October 30, 2004

Finally finshed

Today my partner and I finally finished the big cabling job we've been working on for one of my clients every weekend this month. The only things left to do today was punch down a couple jacks near a new piece of equipment, install a switch and a couple of hubs, and patch all the connections through from the patch panel to the core switch. I also installed their email and file server in their new locations.

Afterwards we grabbed lunch and he installed a new doorbell for me and fixed a fouled up flourescent light in my kitchen. Doing anything with AC power gives me the heebie-jeebies. It's good to be friends with an electrician. :-)


Anonymous said...

Geoff Timm here,
Any good lessons learned on the cabling job?

Who likes others to jump start his learning curve.

Dave Markowitz said...


1. The job will take longer than expected. :-)
2. If you need to do cross-connects for phone lines on a punchdown block, have a box of bridge clips, which are much faster to use than short sections of conductor snipped from piece of CAT5 and punched down.
3. The usefulness of a Fluke Networks cable tester was reconfirmed. We used one to certify all the patch cords I made, as well as each Ethernet run from the patch panel to the wall jack.