Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Learning Bash scripting

One area of knowledge that I am deficient in is programming. I had a year of BASIC in high school and a term of COBOL in college, but haven't done any real programming since then. There have been times when the ability to create a script to automate a task would've come in handy, e.g., when I've had to reconfigure a large number of routers in advance of a deadline.

I therefore have been working my way through the Bash Guide for Beginners, one of the longer "guides" published by the Linux Documentation Project. So far, I'm quite impressed with it. It's well-written and generally pretty clear. I downloaded the Bash Guide in PDF format and found it put together very professionally -- with bookmarks, links, etc.

Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to take a look at this. I have some projects at work that would be easier if I know more programming. 10 years ago I could program in objectpal but today most of what I knew is long gone. Trying to get my employer to send me to a scripting course for sysadmins. Microsoft course m2433.