Monday, November 15, 2004

Saving my back this winter

My long-time readers (all 3 of you) will know that I have a bad back, which was exacerbated when I injured it on the job back in April. So, with winter coming up and the prospect of shoveling snow, I felt it was high time that I got a snow blower, even though putting another $600 on my Master Card wasn't something I really wanted to do. I therefore ordered a Troy-Bilt Storm 524 today. I chose a Troy-Bilt based on the experience of a friend's parents. They had a couple different pieces of equipment made by T-B (tillers, etc.) and never had any problems. Hopefully, it'll get here before our first snowfall.

I vacillated between getting a single stage unit, which would've been cheaper, and a two stage unit. I went with the latter because we sometimes do get dumped on and I wanted something which would handle deeper snow. A couple nice features of the Storm 524 are electric start and the four-cycle engine, which means I don't have to worry about a fuel/oil mixture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took the plunge and bought a dual-stage Craftsman (Sears) snow blower last year. We have "big snows" here - up to an inch an hour sometimes - so the smaller snow blowers just don't cut it. It was definitely worth the money... We had our first snow about 10 days ago - a whole 6" to blow into the neighbour's yard!

Of course, your $600 US was something like $1600 in Canadian currency last year...