Thursday, December 30, 2004

So much for doing it yourself to get it right

It turns out that I needed to call my plumber to complete the dryer install after all.

A few hours after running the second load of wash I smelled some gas. After getting Judith to confirm that I wasn't having olfactory hallucinations I shut off the supply via the cutoff. This morning I called my plumber, who luckily, was able to make it out today.

It turns out that the source of the leak was the old gascock itself. If it had been left alone it would've been fine but by using it, we caused a leak. So, he wound up replacing the gascock and also added another extension pipe to get the rigid gas line closer to the dryer. While he was here I also had him replace the water shutoff valves and the lines to the washer. We also shut off the supply of gas to the fireplace in our den, since it provides next to no heat and we haven't used it this winter. Since it is old enough to have a pilot light, that'll be a little less gas we have to pay for each month.

I'm happy to give my plumber an unsolicited plug, btw. His name is Lawrence Pizzico and he can be reached at 610-279-8111. He works out of Norristown in SE PA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Geoff Timm here. You might seriously consider replacing that fake fireplace with a modern unit. Just make sure it has backup systems to keep it operating during power outages.

Geoff Timm
Who notes too many things are electrically dependant.

Dave Markowitz said...

Actually, that's the plan. We want to put in a wood-burning fireplace. It's going to take some reconstruction of that wall, though, so I don't know if it's financially in the cards for this year.