Friday, February 17, 2023

A California Halfstock Percussion Rifle

Last week I was browsing Track of the Wolf's website and ran across this rifle. I've been wanting a percussion sidelock for use in local trail walks and for deer hunting during PA's early antlerless season. After mulling it over for a day I ordered it on Saturday. I paid extra for 2 day shipping to reduce the time in transit (and therefore the opportunity for foul play). It shipped on Monday and arrived on Wednesday.




It's based on a rifle built by a gunsmith in California in the late 19th Century. Key differences are that the original had a back-action lock and a Dimmick-style trigger guard. In contrast, this one has a front-action L&R Hawken lock, and an Ohio-style trigger guard.

The barrel was made by Jim Goodoien of Blaine, MN. It's my understanding that his barrels are some of the best made in recent years. According to an email I got from Track, Goodoein barrels are hand lapped and choked, which makes loading easier. The bore has the best polish I've ever seen on a rifle. If I shine a light down it I can see all the way to breech, something rare on a muzzleloader with a closed breech and a long barrel. It's 34" long with a round ball twist.




Whoever built the rifle (which is unknown), left the muzzle with a flat crown. I didn't like that so I used my Joe Wood coning tool to put a slight cone in it. I didn't go as far as I did on my longrifle but I may do some more work on it.

The stock is Claro walnut with German silver mountings. The barrel and sights were left with a patina finish although I put some cold blue on the sights to reduce glare.

The barrel keys are captured to prevent loss. The nosecap is poured pewter.




Detail of the sideplate, which looks to me like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.




The double set triggers may be from R.E. Davis but I'm not sure. They look like Davis triggers with the rear trigger bent forward a little bit. Regardless, when set the gun fires with mere ounces of pressure on the front trigger.

Overall, it balance nicely for offhand shooting. It's no lightweight, though, at about 9.5 lbs.

Today I took a vacation day and took the new rifle to my club even though it was raining. We have a covered firing line that kept me dry until a squall blew in for a few minutes and got me and everything wet. But before that I got the rifle zeroed at 50 yards. Windage was dead on but it was shooting 8" - 10" low. Some trial and error with a file work on the front sight got it shooting ~2" high at 50 yards, about where I like it.



The loading tables on the 50 yard range at my club have notches for the rifle and a range rod. There's no danger it'll fall over.

Those of you who've seen my prior posts may have noticed that this is a right handed rifle, while I'm left handed. As a southpaw I don't even notice the hammer when shooting a right handed caplock rifle. (Righty flintlocks are another story and require a lot more concentration.)

If I do my part (not always guaranteed) it looks like it'll put them within 2" - 3" at 50 yards. Load development may help that. I mostly shot .490 balls patched in .020" patches cut at the muzzle, lubed with Mr. Flintlock Patch Lube and Bore Cleaner, on top of 60 grains of 3Fg Goex black powder. I used CCI No.11 caps and in about 2 dozen shots had no ignition problems.

For the last 4 or 5 shots I used 0.018" pillow ticking lubed with neatsfoot oil. I fired these at steel gongs offhand so I can't compare how the rifle shoots with the thinner patches.

I did not have to swab until after I finished shooting. The last round loaded as easily as the first. I attribute this to the Mr. Flintlock lube but also to the hand-lapped bore. Although Track's email stated that Goodoien barrels are choked I could not feel that while loading. It's possible that this barrel was originally longer and cut down at some point, removing the choke.

I have some .495 balls that I plan to try in the rifle to see how they load and shoot.

But right now I'm happy as a clam with this purchase.

No comments: