Thursday, August 12, 2004

I've got mail...

... GMail, to be exact. I found out this afternoon that one of my co-workers has a GMail account and a spare invite, so I got hooked up with a GMail account. w00t! My addy is davemarkowitz at gmail.com.

The GMail UI is pretty clean and easy to use. Rather than grouping items into folders, it does "conversations," which are akin to threads in a newsreader. I don't know if I'm going to like this part of it, though.

With respect to the issues that privacy advocates have raised about GMail, I have a simple answer: If you don't like Google's automated system which presents pertitent ads alongside your messages, don't friggin' use it! GMail is a free service that nobody is being forced to use, and Google has been quite up front about their scanning of messages in order to show ads for stuff they think you'll be interested in. There are other, legitimate, privacy concerns to address.

No comments: