Wednesday, October 05, 2022

A Portable Shooting Table for Muzzleloaders

Now that my canoe gun is back in one piece I want to prevent a recurrence of having the gun fall over and breaking something.

I have this portable foldable workbench that I bought years ago from Harbor Freight. The current price is $19.99 but I paid only $5 for it. It's a cheap knock-off of a Black and Decker WorkMate. Inspired by this thread on Bushcraft USA, I threw together an insert that I can use to turn it into a portable loading and cleaning table for my muzzleloaders.




I used scrap lumber I had laying around along with a few drywall screws and some Titebond II wood glue.

The center piece is a length of 1x3 that's been laying under my shed, hence the weathered appearance. The end on the right is made from some 1x4, doubled on the "wings" to help prevent splitting. I know my cuts look like crap. I should have used a saw with a finer blade to prevent splintering.

The notches on the right side and the other end give me plenty of options for holding guns and range rods, and I can put a range box on top.

No comments: