Saturday, October 15, 2022

Made an aluminum field rod for my Cabela's Hawken

I wanted a ramrod that was a bit longer than my Cabela's Hawken's 29" barrel, and one I won't have to worry about breaking in the field. I rummaged around in my shop and found a piece of aluminum rod that was 36" long x 3/8" diameter, the same as the factory wood rod.

I put the rod in the bore and then marked it a few inches about the muzzle then cut it off with a hacksaw. Then I used my lathe to face the ends, then drill and tap each end to accept 10-32 threaded accessories like cleaning jags, worms, and ball screws. Finally, I sanded it with some 220 grit sandpaper so that it's smooth but not too shiny.

The aluminum rod is slightly heavier than the wood rod but not nearly as much as a brass rod would be.

Testing my threading job with a .58 caliber jag that was on my workbench:



With a long .50 caliber jag on the end it sticks out several inches, to give me a decent grip:



And finally, stowed in place under the rifle. I'll keep the jag in my shooting pouch when in the field.



By drilling and tapping both ends I can affix an extension or T-handle to one and a jag or ball puller to the other.

The primary use for this rod will be when hunting. I use a thinner, stainless steel range rod with a muzzle guide when practicing. I might use it if I even shoot on a woods walk.

This is another example of why it's handy to have a small lathe and some drills and taps if you're a shooter.

No comments: