Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Picked up a few things for the Zouave

Last Saturday I ordered a few things for the Zouave from The Possible Shop, and they arrived today.




First off was a lace-on sling made by October Country. It's a simple, two-piece carrying strap that's 1-1/4" wide, which will help distribute the 9 lb. rifle's weight. (Last week I'd bought an 1861 Springfield sling off eBay but it's too long for the shorter Zouave.) Since I am not reenacting this will work just fine and still looks 19th Centuryish.

Along with the sling I got a Treso musket nipple and one to take #11 caps, both made from AMPCO bronze. The musket nipple needs to be turned down slightly to take Scheutzen musket caps but the #11 nipple is actually a little small. CCI #11s are loose and would need to be pinched to stay on. RWS 1075 Plus caps fit snugly, however. The main reason for getting the #11 nipple is in case I ever need to use homemade caps.

Finally, I also got another bottle of Hoppe's No.9 black powder patch lube and solvent, and some bulk pillow ticking and .020" patch material. These of course are not just for the Zouave.

No comments: