Sunday, March 12, 2023

Refining my Woods Walk Loadout

Today I shot the woods walk at Boulder Valley with this rifle, getting 18 out of 20 targets. The top three shooters all got 18 but they place shooters based on how early in the course the misses were, so I took 3rd place. I'm extremely happy with how I shot today. I used 55 grains of Goex 3Fg for all targets except for a gong out at 82 yards. I bumped up my powder charge on that one to 70 grains for a flatter trajectory, aimed dead on, and hit it.

Last week I wore partially period correct clothing. I was feeling lazy today and just wore regular clothes. The other guys who normally wear PC clothing didn't today, I guess the laziness is going around.



Each woods walk I shoot in is a shakedown run and I continue to refine my loadout. Today I used my Peace flask with a Treso free flow spout on it. (I bought the spout at Dixon's yesterday.) This was faster and easier to dump powder into my measure compared with my powder horn.

I used the same double bag shooting pouch as last weekend, but this time I had only patches and balls in the front pouch. My cleaning kit and nipple primer were in the rear pouch while my capper and powder measure were in a jacket pocket. If I'd worn PC apparel I would have kept the capper and powder measure in a belt pouch.

Instead of using a ball bag, I dumped the balls into the front pouch. This made them a lot easier to retrieve, instead of fumbling to get into a separate ball bag. I wouldn't do this for hunting or an kept my extended trip in the wilderness, but for a woods walk it works well.

I also got to try out my PCP Pro Polish capper for the first time. This gets two big thumbs up from me. Since it's 3D printed plastic it wouldn't be acceptable at an event requiring everything to be period correct, but it was inexpensive and worked perfectly with CCI No.11 caps.




I ordered two of them on February 27th (one for me, one for my brother) and they arrived on March 10th. Not bad for mail from Poland. The cost was 120 PLN which came out to about $32 and change.

The reason I wanted to try the Polish capper was that the Ted Cash capper shown above was driving me nuts with caps flipping over the last time I used it. I'll have to try it with RWS 1075s but the CCI No.11s were a pain in the neck. I'm perfectly satisfied with the Polish capper.

Today I was really glad that the barrel wedges on my rifle are captive. About halfway through the shoot I noticed the rear wedge hanging all the way out. If it had fallen out it would have surely been lost. The wedge on my Cabela's Hawken is not captive, which I'll fix. Cutting a slot in it will be simple with my milling machine. Then I'll make a pin from a nail and inlet it in the stock behind the escutcheon.

They also announced that they've added another shoot at Boulder Valley on April 2nd, which is great.

No comments: