Friday, March 10, 2023

Peace Flask

In the mid-19th Century powder flasks became popular for carrying gun powder, supplanting the use of powder horns.

I just got this Pedersoli-made Peace flask AKA Zouave flask in from Dixie Gunworks, to go with my plains rifle. Dixie sells the cord separately in 20 foot hanks. I'll use another piece of it on a powder measure. I'm planning to use this at my next woods walk.




These flasks were developed before the Civil War for issue with the M-1841 "Mississippi" rifle. The "Peace" moniker comes from the clasped hands motif. Modern shooters have also called them "Zouave" flasks based on the mistaken belief that they were issued with the Remington M-1863 contract rifles, but none of those actually saw service during the war.

The flask holds about 12 oz. of powder and the spout measures out 60 grains. That works out to about 77 shots per fill. I'll probably cut down the spout to hold 55 grains.

Back in the 19th Century it was common practice to pour the charge into the gun directly from the flask. Nowadays that is frowned upon because if there is a spark remaining in the bore, it can ignite the entire flask right in your face. Doing so at a sanctioned shoot will get you an invitation to leave, AAMOF.

So, when I use this I'll decant the charge into a separate, fixed measure which will then be used to load the rifle. I plan to use a 70 grain measure made from deer antler. That way, if I want to bump my powder charge up a little for long shots on woods walks it's simple enough to do so.

Treso, the maker of powder flask spouts, nipples, and other black powder accessories, makes a short free flow pour spout that screws into powder flask heads. I may eventually get one of those.

Incidentally, when I got the flask today it had what looked like some kitty litter rattling around inside. I'm sure this was left over from the manufacturing process. To get all of it out I had to remove the head which is held on with three set screws. If you ever need to do this you'll need a precision screwdriver and do it over something to catch any screws you drop, which will probably happen due to their tiny size.

Finally, Dixie Gunworks was hit hard by COVID a couple years ago and experienced many shipping delays. They still seem to be having staffing difficulties. With all that, I ordered the flask and cord on Saturday, March 4th, and got it today Friday the 10th. So, they are doing better with speedy shipping.

No comments: